Analyst, Energy Pricing – EPCOR Utilities – Edmonton, AB.
Highlights of the job
We are looking to fill one (1) Permanent full-time position within our Operations Services Team.
Energy Services provides the regulated rate option (RRO) electricity for consumers within Edmonton and parts of Alberta. Our highly skilled, knowledgeable, caring and engaged team is focused on providing outstanding customer care for the company, including our Edmonton-based contact and billing centres, and always striving to exceed our customers’ expectations.
As the Analyst, Energy Pricing you will be accountable for preparing the operational calculations relating to rate-setting for EPCOR’s Energy Price Setting Plan (RRO customers), Default Supply, and for Encor’s power and gas customers. The Analyst, Energy Pricing is also accountable for the analysis of actual pool pricing, forward market pricing, hedging costs, RRO and Default rates, competitive electricity rates and generator offer behaviour strategies; and for preparing analysis on business planning/opportunities within Energy Services.
What you’d be responsible for
- Providing input to the EPCOR Energy Alberta Inc. plans and directions, ensuring an appropriate understanding of the EUI and EPCOR Energy Alberta Inc. strategy throughout Operations Services and ensuring on-going effective positioning and appropriate relationships between other positions in Operations Services and EUI.
- Performing operation procedures, including rate calculations, monthly acknowledgement filings and monthly price schedules as required for the Energy Price Setting Plan (EPSP), Default Supply service, and Encor power and gas service.
- Completing cost claim applications with the AUC to ensure that EPCOR is fully compensated for all recoverable plan administration costs.
- Developing, implementing and reviewing Analyst, Energy Pricing processes to ensure compliance to policies, standards, regulatory requirements and ensuring mitigation of risks.
- Assisting in the implementation of EPSP, which dictates how Energy Services procures approximately $350 million in energy annually for over 500,000 customers. This includes managing auction and financial settlement processes and variance analysis. Portions of the EPSP that the Analyst, Energy Pricing works with on a daily basis are of significant commercial sensitivity and are subject to tight confidentiality provisions.
- Performing wholesale, forward, RRO and Default market analytics to contribute to the development of the EPSP and net revenue forecasts as well as the formation of EPCOR’s lobbying strategies with the Department of Energy (DOE), Market Surveillance Administrator (MSA), Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO) and Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC).
- Providing support on regulatory proceedings through development of argument, data analysis, reading Intervener submissions and regulatory writing.
- Preparing briefings for senior and executive leadership including detailed information for media requests. Providing support to ES Communications for any communications required relating to RRO and Default Operations.
- Overseeing analytical projects including the construction of a stress test model, scenario analysis to support budget projections, and rate design analytics.
- Systems administration, design, and enhancement of Operation Services unique applications, databases, models and SharePoint sites (i.e. NGX Auction software, RRO SharePoint site, etc.).
Reviewing other RRO provider filings to determine impact/opportunities for EEA.
What’s required to be successful
- Degree in Business, Economics or Operations Management from a recognized post-secondary educational institute.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience in the Alberta energy industry.
- Demonstrated experience in the following areas:
- Alberta Electricity Market
- Energy procurement
- Energy pricing analysis
- Rate-setting regulations
- Previous experience with rate setting, the Energy Price Setting Plan, energy procurement and / or generator offer strategies.
- Strong quantitative analytics skills.
- High level of proficiency in Excel, including knowledge of VBA, and databases.
In addition to the above listed qualifications, the successful candidate will have a strong understanding of financial models combined with solid business acumen. To be fully successful in the role, you have a high concern for accuracy and quality as evidenced by superior work quality of output and deliverables. As the Analyst, Energy Pricing you will be fully engaged and committed to EPCOR’s goals and objectives, serving as an ambassador for EPCOR with external stakeholders, while acting in the best interest of the company. Other demonstrated competencies required include analytical thinking, excellent time management, superior planning and organizational skills.
Other important facts about this job
Jurisdiction: CSU52; Class: P1
Starting Wage: $43.00 per hour (Final Wage and Step will be determined at the time of selection and is based on a combination of factors as outlined in the CA that may be found online.)
Hours of work: 8 hours a day, 40 hours per week
Note: A practical assessment maybe administered during the selection process and this exercise maybe used as a part of the selection criterion.
Application Deadline: May 21, 2021
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.