Process technician – Hydro – Mississauga, ON.
Hydro Extrusions is a world-leading aluminium extrusion business counting around 100 production sites in 40 countries, and employing 20,000 people. Through our unique combination of local expertise, global network, and unmatched R&D capabilities, we can offer everything from standard profiles, to advanced development and manufacturing for most industries.
Since 1905, Hydro has turned natural resources into valuable products for people and businesses with focus on a safe and good workplace for our 35,000 employees in more than 140 locations.
Hydro is committed to leading the way in shaping a sustainable future and in doing so, creating more viable societies by developing natural resources into products and solutions in innovative and efficient ways to industries that matter.
Work location: Mississauga, ON
Summary: This position will be assigned to the Extrusion departement. This position will also work closely with Maintenance in Uptime & Reliability improvement activities.
The Process Technician designs, plans and implements new improved process solutions in order to drive continuous systematic improvement and the elimination of waste in our manufacturing processes. Also, leads departmental and/or plant strategic projects and initiatives; such as, new CAPEX projects for equipment, new business launch, product development, etc. This position will also support quality and production in driving improvements which will lead to lower PPM while improving efficiencies in rates, recoveries and uptime.
- This position requires a passion for waste elimination and is a role model for the use of Lean tools and methodology. Provides leadership, training & coaching to all leaders and team members to promote the growth of Lean thinking and culture in the Mississauga operation.
- Accountable for leading teams of salaried and hourly team members in defining, implementing & sustaining process improvements through the use of small experiments, Kaizen events or CI teams.
- Leads, supports, & facilitates teams in the development & maintenance of daily management, process control systems,
preventative maintenance, 5S, TPM and problem-solving activities.
- Understands A3 structure and promotes the use of A3 thinking for assigned projects or continuous improvement activities.
- Understands the use and application of Oracle, CIMX, Recipe Management and related systems. Manages or uses these systems for the purpose of training, storing and accessing data, monitoring and driving Key Performance Indicator (KPI) results.
- Effectively uses & analyzes process data to identify facts for decision making in process improvement activities and to ensure improvement methods and systems are effective and sustained.
- Ensures best practices are captured with heavy emphasis on training, documenting and standardizing the work across all shifts for peak performance and results.
- Leads or assists in key plant strategic initiatives; such as, equipment upgrade selection/specifications, and post commissioning capability validation, value stream process flow improvements.
- Works across departments on problem solving plant flow issues & supports Maintenance on reliability & uptime.
- Provide weekly progress updates on assigned projects or activities as required by the Extrusion Manager.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or related field preferred
- A minimum requirement of 5 + years manufacturing process experience in the extrusion industry
- Above average working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing, Strategic A3 thinker, Effective problem-solving skills, and Project management skills.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to identify waste and the business value associated with its elimination. Capable of facilitating diverse teams systematically through waste elimination methods.
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishing projects in a collaborative environment.
- Mathematical proficiency, with particular emphasis of applied Statistical Process Control.
- Strong presentation skills, including Group facilitation, training, Kaizen Team Leader and general public speaking.
- Excellent written & oral communication skills are essential as this position interacts with all levels in our organization.
- Highly motivated self starter, enthusiastic, capable of bringing out the best in people with reward and recognition.
- Strong working knowledge of personal computers, spread sheets, word processing, data-bases, presentation software and associated networking and communication tools.
- Basic understanding of Casting and Extrusion metallurgy.
Employees can enjoy several benefits including:
- Medical, Rx, Dental, Disability, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts
- Retirement Savings Plans with Company Match/Contributions
- Bonus Plan Eligibility
- Education Assistance
- Parental Leave
Hydro in North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer where all phases of employment are based strictly upon the qualifications of the individual as related to the work requirements of the position. This policy is applied without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or any other category protected by law.