The Nursing Resource Team is a staffing team that provides nursing services across patient care programs at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton. It is comprised of full-time and part-time RPN’s whose shifts are assigned to various clinical units to meet staffing requirements. Nursing Resource Team nurses may be called in for relief or pre-booked as the need arises.
The Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) provides nursing care for clients to promote health and assess need for provision of care and treatment of health conditions by supportive, preventive, therapeutic, palliative and rehabilitation means in order to attain or maintain optimal function. The RPN role models professional values, beliefs and attributes, and practices in accordance with the SJHH mission and values, policies and procedures, and College of Nurses Standards and Guidelines. A high level of collaboration between RPN and RN is required to ensure safe and effective care. The RPN provides care for less complex clients whose outcomes are more predictable and risk for negative outcomes is low. The RPN is accountable to recognize changes in acuity and/or complexity in client needs and consulting with a Registered Nurse (RN) in determining next steps in provision of care.
- Current registration with the College of Nurse of Ontario required.
- Education in one of the below categories is required:
a) Practical Nursing Diploma from an accredited Community College program with evidence of IV medication administration as part of the basic educational curriculum.
b) Practical Nursing Diploma from an accredited Community College program and IV medication administration certificate from an accredited Community College program if not included in basic diploma curriculum.
c) Practical Nursing Certificate from an accredited Community College program, a medication administration certificate and an IV medication certificate from an accredited Community College program.
- Minimum 1 year recent related clinical nursing experience in acute medical nursing preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with telemetry monitory and focused clinical assessment preferred
- Current BCLS/HCP certification required
- Demonstrated knowledge, sensitivity and expertise in the care of seniors and their families
- Demonstrated ability to function to the full scope of nursing practice per the College of Nurse of Ontario.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal) with patients/clients, families and other members of the health care team.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and organize work in response to client/patient needs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of transfers and lifts.
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning, professional development, and continuous quality improvement.
- Basic skill level with computers, MS Word, Internet searches, data entry and patient information systems.
- Gentle Persuasive Approach (GPA) for Dementia Care certification preferred.
HOURS OF WORK:
Rotating shifts and extended hours – days, afternoons, nights, weekends, holidays
Hourly: $28.69…$29.92…$31.17 (plus 14% in lieu)
St. Joseph’s Nursing Vision is to make a difference in the lives of those we care for, our organization, and the future of our community through achievement of excellence in nursing and commitment to a culture of nursing innovation, empowerment, leadership and accountability.